• Latest - https://judonewsdebate.com/threads/welcome-to-jn-d.301/

NSPCC "loophole" campaign and UK Sports

SBE

SBE
JN&D Site Sensei
https://www.nspcc.org.uk/what-we-do/campaigns/close-the-loophole/
NSPCC Loophole campaign.png

To many it will come as a surprise that there is a legal grey area within UK sports regarding 16/17 year olds and sexual relationships with a "person of trust", for example a coach!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Whereas there are well defined laws covering 16/17 year olds within the education system, currently a person in trust, such as sports coach, is not breaking any UK laws if they engage in a sexual relationship with a 16/17 year old!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

The NSPCC has initiated a campaign and petition (30 sec to complete) to email MPs
& the MoJ (ministry of justice) about this loophole and demanding it be closed!

"It's illegal for teachers, care workers and youth justice workers to have sex with 16 or 17-year-olds in their care. But there's a loophole in the law that means other adults who hold a position of power over a young person can legally have sex with them.
This is wrong and we're calling for the law to be extended to include any adult who holds a position of power over 16 or 17-year-olds."
NSPCC 2019

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Case study by the NSPCC:

Why we need to #CloseTheLoophole

Hannah* swam from a young age and took training seriously. She admired her coach Brian* and would work hard to be given praise by him. When she was 15 Hannah was having a difficult time and Brian built her trust by supporting her.

"After I turned 16, he started commenting on my appearance which he hadn’t done before. He’d say I looked nice, or that clothes looked nice on me. He’d say I looked beautiful and attractive. I’d not really heard a man say those kinds of things about me before so it felt very new. I wasn’t sure how I felt about it at that time."
Things progressed to the point where they started having sex. The relationship lasted over a year before a disclosure revealed what had been happening. The police questioned Brian but no charges were brought due to Hannah being over 16.

*DISCLAIMER
This is a true story but names have been changed to protect identities and photographs have been posed by models.

SBE

SBE
JN&D Site Sensei
https://www.nspcc.org.uk/what-we-do/campaigns/close-the-loophole/ View attachment 195

To many it will come as a surprise that there is a legal grey area within UK sports regarding 16/17 year olds and sexual relationships with a "person of trust", for example a coach!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Whereas there are well defined laws covering 16/17 year olds within the education system, currently a person in trust, such as sports coach, is not breaking any UK laws if they engage in a sexual relationship with a 16/17 year old!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

The NSPCC has initiated a campaign and petition (30 sec to complete) to email MPs
& the MoJ (ministry of justice) about this loophole and demanding it be closed!

"It's illegal for teachers, care workers and youth justice workers to have sex with 16 or 17-year-olds in their care. But there's a loophole in the law that means other adults who hold a position of power over a young person can legally have sex with them.
This is wrong and we're calling for the law to be extended to include any adult who holds a position of power over 16 or 17-year-olds."
NSPCC 2019

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Case study by the NSPCC:

Why we need to #CloseTheLoophole

Hannah* swam from a young age and took training seriously. She admired her coach Brian* and would work hard to be given praise by him. When she was 15 Hannah was having a difficult time and Brian built her trust by supporting her.

"After I turned 16, he started commenting on my appearance which he hadn’t done before. He’d say I looked nice, or that clothes looked nice on me. He’d say I looked beautiful and attractive. I’d not really heard a man say those kinds of things about me before so it felt very new. I wasn’t sure how I felt about it at that time."
Things progressed to the point where they started having sex. The relationship lasted over a year before a disclosure revealed what had been happening. The police questioned Brian but no charges were brought due to Hannah being over 16.

*DISCLAIMER
This is a true story but names have been changed to protect identities and photographs have been posed by models.

Within GB judo, outside the "BJA family" (BJA/WJA/NIJudo/JudoScotland), there is to my understanding only one established cooperation, between the BJA & BJC in this area!*

So, in effect, since a sexual relationship between a "person of trust", a sports coach for example, and a 16/17 year olds currently isn't illegal and can't be prosecuted. A coach that is caught currently won't be prosecuted and could possibly join another federation and pass a DBS check!

My personal opinion is that I would like to see GB Judo federations take steps to be ahead of UK legislation and have a clear and tightly defined in Child Safeguarding including 16/17 year olds.
So when the next child abuse scandal in UK sports hits the media headlines, GB Judo could step forward as a leader for others to follow!

*The BJA safeguarding department has expressed an interest in expanding this cooperation with other GB judo federations!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Reference:
To be updated.......